A blog at its very core is a website consisting of posts or entries. The posts can be as simple as a collection of someone’s thoughts or ideas or as complex as a website dedicated to producing high-quality journalism. A blog can consist of components other than just written text. It can live in the form of a photo gallery, online store or really any type of website that you wish to create.
People who are new to blogging may get lost in the vast amount of technical jargon and the nuanced setup process. It can all be a bit confusing to someone who does not have much experience in this space.
Luckily, I am here to simplify the process of creating your own blog.
5 Key Components to Think About Before Setting Up a Blog
Creating a blog is like creating a small business. Even if you are not trying to make money off your blog off the bat, one of your main goals should be to attract visitors to your site. Otherwise, what is the purpose of publishing content on the internet?
Like any small business, you need to think about the following 5 things before you get started.
- Name: What will be the name of your business? You want to have a meaningful name where visitors can find you easily. This will come in the form of finding a domain name for your blog.
- Property: Generally speaking most business do not own the property that they do business in. They rent the space from a landlord who provides the basic infrastructure to get a business up and running. To create a blog, you will need to find a web host that will host the data and serve the content that you create.
- Product: Whether it comes in the form of written text, videos, music, pictures, etc; what you are producing for your blog is what will be the main attraction for any potential visitor.
- Seller Tools: To manage all of your products, you need a platform that is easy to use and can scale with future growth, while still being able to handle a wide array of tasks. The most popular platform for blogging is WordPress because its abilities are second to none. Plus it’s FREE!
- Store Design: You have decided on a name, location, products, and tools. Now you have to think about your store design. This is your opportunity to make your first impression on any visitor that comes across your blog. Luckily there are hundreds of easy to use templates and plugins made specifically for WordPress that will help you attract and retain your visitors.
Are you ready to get blogging? Here is a step-by-step guide to getting your blog up and running.